Astroseminar 2018 – 4. Luminous and dark structures
24. April 2018 @ 15:30 - 17:00Public
+++ Unfortunately, the event is fully booked. No further registration. +++
Prof. Dr. Volker Springel, Universität Heidelberg und HITS
24. April 2018
Galaxies contain hundreds of billions of stars and come in many different shapes and sizes. Their formation is determined by a complex confluence of various astrophysical processes, in which gravitation, radiation and hydrodynamics play important roles, and these factors are interconnected across expansive scale ranges. Moreover, astrophysicists are convinced that the lion’s share of energy and matter contained in the Universe does not consist of ordinary matter, but is dominated by “dark matter” and “dark energy”. Supercomputer simulations play a key role in the analysis of this seemingly bold hypothesis. The astonishing performance of modern-day supercomputers allows us to directly link the comparatively simple initial conditions left behind by the Big Bang with the complex, evolved state of today’s universe, hence tracing the lifespan of galaxies in detail. For instance, they can help us to clarify extreme phenomena such as the effects of supermassive black holes on the cosmic evolution of galaxies.
Volker Springel conducts his research at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies and at the Centre for Astronomy at the University of Heidelberg; he has been Professor for Theoretical Astrophysics at the University of Heidelberg since 2010. Specialised in computer-assisted astrophysics, his work focuses on the emergence of galaxies and cosmology in particular.
- ATTENTION: The events will be held from 15:30–17:00 at the Air Force Conference Centre, Wahn Air Force Base
Information on entry times and parking on the barracks grounds will be published in good time on dlr.de/en.
- To register, please contact Petra Naoum (tel: +49 203 / 601-3896) or send an e-mail: Petra.Naoum@dlr.de
- For any questions on the topics of the Astroseminar, contact Manfred Gaida (tel: +49 228 / 447-417)
- For an overview of past seminars visit http://www.volkssternwarte-bonn.de/wordpress/archiv